Apple launched iPad Air with jam-packed features in September 2020. Apple borrowed some elements from previous generations to redesign the iPad Air, which seems to be closer in design to iPad pro. iPad Air is available in beautiful colors like rose gold, green, sky blue, silver, and space gray. The iPad Air features a 10.9-inch liquid retina display, rounded edges, aluminum chassis, 2360×1640 resolution, 3.8 million pixels, True Tone support. This phone availability in stores will be on Friday, October 16, with subsequent availability on October 23. Its price is $599, and the middle tier option price is$ 329, the iPad pro price is $799.
All about Apple iPad Air 2020 with A14 Bionic Chip
The top button has a new Touch ID sensor placed on it. They have introduced this feature in the Apple device. The biometric authentication uses Touch ID, and the iPad Air does not have any face ID. Built on a 5-nanometer process, the iPhone Air includes Apple’s newest A-series chip, 6-core, A14 Bionic chip. This A-Series chip enables 40 percent faster CPU performance and a 30 percent enhancement in GPU performance.
A new 16-core Neural Engine is included in the A14 chip, which is twice as fast as the Neural Engine in the previous-generation chip. Moreover, for enjoying ten times faster machine learning calculations, second-generation machine learning accelerators are also being used. A 7-megapixel front-facing camera along with a 12-megapixel rear camera is incorporated in iPad Air. The stereo speakers in landscape mode for broader stereo sound have been built-in into iPhone air to enhance speaker quality.
There is a USB-C port in the new iPad Air instead of a Lightning port for 5Gbps data transfer and support for connecting hard drives, 4K external monitors, and cameras. A new 20W USB-C adapter for charging is shipped with iPad Air.
Likewise, the iPad Pro, the iPad Air, supports the second-generation Apple Pencil costing $129, and it works with the Magic Keyboard with trackpad costing $279 that Apple offers. It is also well-matched with the Smart Folio covers and Smart Keyboard Folio.
iPad Air has impressed spectators around the globe, owing to its design and affordable prices. iPad Air has set itself at a point that maximum people can grab it due to its affordability.
The Touch ID sensor has been recognized as “fast and reliable” to identify fingerprints in almost any orientation. People think that iPad Air’s display is sufficient, although it doesn’t have the 120Hz ProMotion refresh rate featuring iPad Pro.
Reviewers were contented with the inclusion of a super speedy A14 Bionic chip in iPad Air. On the other hand, iPad Air GPU performance is a bit behind the iPad Pro.
The starting storage with 64GB was a grave concern for reviewers. According to people, many photos, games, and apps will occupy this storage capacity rapidly. Therefore, an additional cost of $100 will be required to upgrade storage.
Design of iPad Air
The iPad Air features a 10.9-inch liquid retina display, thicker bezels around the display, a more viscous body, aluminum chassis with rounded edges. Its display is upgraded by 4 inches. iPad Air design and iPad pro look the same in shape. Let’s have a little comparison with iPad pro:
|iPad Air||9.74 inches||7 inches||6.1mm||1 pound|
|iPad Pro||9.74 inches||7.02 inches||5.9mm||1.04 pound|
It becomes the first iPad having all display designs. The new Touch ID fingerprint reader is built into the top button for biometric authentication. Touch ID fingerprint reader scans a fingerprint just like the Touch ID Home Button, but it’s lighter and more reliable. A microphone and speakers are situated at the top of the iPad Air adjoining to the Touch ID button.
See Also: OPPO RENO4 5G
To charge Apple pencil, magnetic space is located on the right side of the iPad Air. Similarly, volume up/down buttons and a nano-SIM tray on cellular models are also situated on iPad Air’s right side. At the bottom of the iPad Air, a USB-C port and Stereo speakers and are placed. A single-lens rear camera with a microphone has been located on the backside of iPad Air.
The grave concerns regarding iPad Air are mentioned below;
- No Touch ID Home Button
- No Face ID
- Starting storage is insufficient, i.e., 64 GB.
- An additional cost of $100 is required to upgrade storage.
- Single-lens camera or LiDAR scanner
- No True Depth camera system to support Face ID
Display: iPad Air 2020
The iPad Air is launched with a 10.9-inch Liquid Retina display indistinguishable from the iPad Pro display.
- Its resolution is 2360 by 1640.
- It has 246 pixels per inch and a total of 3.8 million pixels
- It has full lamination
- Broad color support for rich, true to life colors,
- iPad Air has an anti-reflective coating with 1.8 percent reflectivity, True Tone support, and 500 nits brightness.
The white balance of the display is adjusted by True Tone to match the ambient lighting to make the screen easier on the eyes.
Colors: iPad Air
It’s available in five beautiful colors like rose gold, green, sky blue, silver, and space gray.
The brighter color options – sky blue, rose gold, and green further distinguish the 2020 iPad Air from iPad Pro 2020.
There is no face ID detection in iPad Air owing to the non-availability of the true depth camera system. An f/2.0 7-megapixel front-facing Face Time HD Camera is built into the iPad Air to take selfies and video calls. Other features of the camera are pinpointed below:
- There’s a single-lens 12-megapixel wide-angle camera.
- Reliable performance in low light owing to have f/1.8 aperture
- Modern improvements in cameras such as Live Photos with stabilization, exposure control, Smart HDR, autofocus with Focus Pixels, wide color capture, noise reduction, auto image stabilization.
- 4K video recording is facilitated at 20, 30, or 60 frames per second
- It can record in 1080p at 30 or 60 frames per second.
- It supports continuous cinematic video stabilization and autofocus.
- iPad Air provides an option to take 8-megapixel still photos when recording 4K video.
The iPad Air is outfitted with a 28.6-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery. According to Apple, says the battery will provide almost a backup of 10 hours while watching a video or surfing the web on Wi-Fi.
Cellular models’ battery will last for up to nine hours while surfing the web over a cellular connection. The iPad Air will be charged using USB-C to USB-C cable and 20W USB-C power adapter.
iPad Air 2020: The Touch ID
It is the first iPad to have a Touch ID that’s not built into the Home button. Apple integrated Touch ID in the iPad Air’s top controller that is beneficial for biometric authentication without the need for thick bezels that obscure the screen.
- The Touch ID top button working is the same as the Touch ID Home button.
- To unlock the iPad.
- It is used to access apps, and make purchases with Apple Pay, and more.
- Touch ID on the iPad Air is functional in both landscape and portrait orientations.
The Smart Connectors fixed at the back of the iPad Air facilitate communication with power accessories like the Magic Keyboard. The Smart Connector interface can transfer both data and power, so accessories connecting to the iPad Air using the Smart Connector require no batteries.
The iPad Air is upgraded with a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port. It becomes the second device after the iPad pro in which a USB-C port is being used. The iPad Air can be connected using a USB-C port to cameras, 4K or 5K displays, and other USB-C devices.
iPad Air has 4GB RAM, upgraded 1GB from the 3GB in the previous generation model.
Other Prominent Features of iPad Air 2020
- Apple Pencil Support
- Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth Support
- A14 chip: A14 chip is set with 11.8 billion transistors that enhanced performance and power efficiency.
- Neural Engine: 16-core Neural Engine that’s twice as fast and can carry out up to 11 trillion operations for a second.
- Sensor: Using a touch ID sensor iPad Air has a three-axis gyro, a barometer, an accelerometer, and an ambient light sensor for True Tone and other features
- Microphones and Speakers: The iPad Air features two sets of speakers for stereo sound in portrait and landscape mode. Dual microphones are included for calls, video recording, and audio recording.
- Storage Space: 64GB of storage or 256GB of storage, 128GB storage option is not available.
- Accessories: Trackpad Support and Magic Keyboard.